Stress can affect the immune system. Research suggests that adaptogens, a group of plant-based herbs, may help our immune system by calming our central nervous system, decreasing anxiety, and boosting overall health. Five common adaptogens are:
- Astragalus Root. Increases the production of immune cells and boosts heart health.
- Ginseng. May reduce inflammation, enhance strength and stamina, and improve blood sugar.
- Holy Basil. Antioxidant that treats bacterial, inflammatory infections.
- Licorice Root. Soothes the stomach, reduces stress, and cleanses the respiratory system.
- Raw Cacao. Helps improve digestion, enhances learning, and balances mood swings.
- Schisandra. Boosts the immune system by managing stress, protects against liver disease, and treats menopause symptoms.
Before adding any adaptogen, other herbal remedies, or supplements, consult with your health care provider to ensure they are safe for you.