Serving Size: 1 slice | Serves: 16
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple, unpeeled, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together white sugar, applesauce, oil, and eggs until well combined.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, baking powder, and the 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir together just until combined.
- Gently stir in diced apple.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Spread batter evenly through the pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes until a tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Nutrition information per serving:
150 calories, 2.5 total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 25mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 24g total carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 12g sugar, 3g protein
Recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website (spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu/)