Serving Size: 1 muffin | Serves: 12
- 2 cups whole wheat four
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil (canola, olive, or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup zucchini (washed and shredded; about 1/2 large unpeeled zucchini)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Whisk together four, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together applesauce, oil, milk, banana, and brown sugar in a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture between 12 muffin cups. Bake until a tester (knife or toothpick) comes out clean (about 18 minutes).
Nutrition information per serving:
160 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 26g total carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 9g sugar, 3g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate. edu
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 medium to large banana, sliced
- 2 kiwi, sliced
- Mix strawberries with sugar in a bowl. Let mixture sit 20–30 minutes while strawberries make juice.
- Add banana and kiwi to strawberries.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of the mixture into each of six muffin cups lined with paper liners.
- Freeze. Remove from freezer about 20–30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 50 calories, 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 13g total carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 8g sugar, 1g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. Visit the website for more recipes, information, and videos.
Celebrate National Banana Split Day on August 25!
Serves: 1 adult or 2 servings for small children
Cost per serving: $1.03
1 small banana
1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt
1⁄4 cup granola or flake-style cereal
1⁄2 cup sliced or chopped fresh fruit (kiwi, orange, apple)
- Cut banana in half lengthwise; place in shallow bowl.
- Top with yogurt, cereal, and fruit
Nutrient information per serving
357 calories, 3.4 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 4.9 mg cholesterol, 77.1 g total carbohydrate (6.3 g dietary fiber, 48.7 g sugar), 9.4 g protein
Check out the Spend Smart. Eat Smart Website for ideas on how to feed a healthy family.