Serving Size: 1 prepared wrap | Serves: 4
- 2 green or red bell peppers (seeded and chopped)
- 1 onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans (no salt added) (drained and rinsed)
- 2 mangos, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado (peeled and diced)
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (10 inch)
- Use a nonstick pan over medium heat. Sauté bell peppers and onion for 5 minutes. Add beans and stir well. Reduce heat to low. Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Stir mangos and lime juice in a small bowl. Add cilantro and avocado. Reserve half the mixture for topping.
- Fill warmed tortillas. Use 1/4 bean mixture and 1/4 mango mixture.
- Fold over ends of the tortilla. Roll up to make wraps. Top wraps with the rest of the mango mixture.
Nutrition information per serving:
464 calories, 12g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 76g total carbohydrate, 19g fiber, 0g added sugar,
Adapted from MyPlate Kitchen, www.choosemyplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/veggie-bean-wrap
A good-for-your-heart soup featuring vegetables, beans and chicken. You can reduce the amount of sodium by using reduced-salt or salt-free canned vegetables.
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes (Mexican-style)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn or 1 15-ounce can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can sodium-reduced chicken broth or 2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin (if desired), and pepper in large saucepan.
- Remove and discard any visible fat from chicken. Cut chicken into large chunks and add to the saucepan. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate; use forks to shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to soup.
- Serve with choice of garnishes, such as baked tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, low fat shredded cheese, fat-free sour cream.
Yield: 8 1-cup servings.
Per Serving: 180 calories, 1.5 g fat, 635 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 5.2 g fiber, 18.7 g protein
From: ISU Extension’s Healthy and Homemade 2011 Nutrition and Fitness Calendar and Spend Smart Eat Smart website * (*Recipes can be found at this site)