Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Serves: 6
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola, olive, or vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut bread into one inch cubes.
- Stir bread and oil together in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and dried basil on top of bread cubes. Stir until the bread is evenly coated with garlic and basil.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread croutons evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir. Bake for up to 5 minutes more or until croutons are golden brown.
- Let croutons cool and store in an airtight container for up to one week.
These croutons are wonderful on top of your favorite soup or salad. To add extra tang to your salad, add some fresh herbs to the mix like basil or mint. They add extra flavor and are a great way to use up those herbs!
Nutrition information per serving:
70 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 2g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu.