Physical activity is important for all ages. Being active as a family can be fun and beneficial for everyone. The recommended amount of physical activity for adults is 2 1/2 hours per week; children need 60 minutes per day. Try these tips to make activity part of your day!
- Set specific activity times—Look at your family calendar and schedule physical activity into your day when everyone is available.
- Plan ahead and track your progress—Let the kids help plan the activities and log them on the family calendar.
- Include work around the house—Yard work and chores around the house count too!
- Use what is available—Many activities take little or no equipment or facilities such as walking, jogging, jumping rope, and dancing. Check out programs available at your community recreation center; they may even have childcare or activities available.
- Plan for all weather conditions—Get outdoors when the weather is nice, but also plan activities that do not depend on the weather. Treasure hunts and hide-and-seek can be played indoors or outdoors.
- Turn off the TV—Limit screen time to no more than two hours per day. This includes TV, video games, and the computer (except for schoolwork).
- Start small—Start with an activity that everyone likes and add new ones when everyone is ready.
- Include other families—Invite others to join the fun!
- Treat the family with fun physical activity—To celebrate achievements, do something active as a family such as visit the zoo, try out a park, or go to the lake.
Source: Choose MyPlate, www.choosemyplate.gov