Serving Size: 2 Tbsp | Serves: 8
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced-sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced, or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Use a blender or food processor. Combine garbanzo beans (chickpeas), garlic, lemon juice, cumin, oil, and pepper.
- Blend on low speed until beans are mashed.
- Stir in yogurt with a spoon.
- Place the finished product into an airtight container.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, so the flavors blend. Use within 2–3 days.
- Serve with whole grain pita chips, crackers, or vegetables such as carrots and celery. Use as a substitute for mayonnaise on a chicken sandwich or a turkey wrap.
Nutrition information per serving:
70 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 9g total carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g sugar, 3g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu