The cold weather, along with snow and ice, can make it hard to move outside. Don’t let the cold winter months discourage you into cutting back on your exercise routine. If you don’t currently have an exercise routine, there is no time like the New Year to get started.
- Consider these indoor activities:
- Walk at your local mall or your building’s hallways during lunch or coffee breaks.
- Take the stairs whenever possible.
- Follow an exercise DVD rather than watching a movie.
- Do chair exercises while watching the television
Whatever activity you choose, you’ll burn extra calories instead of storing them. The key to an active family is finding fun things to do in every season. Aim for a goal of 30 minutes of moderate activity daily for adults and 60 minutes for kids—no matter the weather!
Information from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: