Serving Size: 1 muffin | Serves: 12
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Stir together whole wheat four, white flour, sugar, baking powder, and chia seeds in a medium bowl.
- Mix together milk, oil, eggs, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Divide the batter into muffin tins.
- Bake until the muffins are golden and a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. This should take about 16–18 minutes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Tip: Use 1 tablespoon lemon zest and 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice in place of the 1/3 cup lemon juice.
Nutrition information per serving:
180 calories, 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 26g total carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 10g sugar, 4g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu