Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups | Serves 6
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat penne or rotini pasta
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Add the frozen broccoli the last three minutes of cooking. Drain the water from the pasta and broccoli. Return food to the pot.
- Remove fat from chicken on a cutting board and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Wash hands.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Add chicken cubes to skillet and stir to coat with oil. Cook the chicken until it is done (165oF, about 7–9 minutes).
- Remove chicken from skillet when it is done cooking and cover to keep warm.
- Add the milk and cream cheese to the skillet. Stir the mixture constantly over low heat. The mixture will thicken and be smooth.
- Add the garlic powder, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir mixture. Then add cooked chicken and heat mixture.
- Combine meat mixture with the pasta and broccoli mixture. Serve.
Nutrition information per serving: 340 calories, 12 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 75 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 29 g total carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 30 g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more recipes, information, and videos, visit http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsavings/.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Per Serving: $1.07
- 4 cups sliced, assorted vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, peas)
- 1 cup grape or fresh tomatoes, chopped and seeds removed
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta (rotini, bow tie, penne)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain water from cooked pasta and save 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet as pasta cooks. Add garlic and onion to skillet. Sauté over medium heat about 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add any uncooked hard vegetables and cook for 3 minutes. Add soft vegetables and continue to cook. Add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add tomatoes last and cook until warm.
- Add cooked drained pasta to the vegetables. Add a little of the water from the pasta if needed.
- Add cheeses to mixture. Stir until cheese is mostly melted.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient information per serving: 250 calories, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 10 g protein
Source: Spend Smart. Eat Smart.
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 green pepper chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- Brown the ground meat in a large skillet. Rinse with warm water and drain to remove excess fat.
- Add the chopped green peppers and onions. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, macaroni, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir often to keep the macaroni from sticking.
- Serve while hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrient information per serving: 310 calories, 7 g total fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 42 g total carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 19 g protein