Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Serves: 5
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola or olive)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) white beans (cannellini or great northern) (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta
- 1 cup fresh spinach (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook sausage for 6 minutes. Drain grease from sausage. Remove sausage to a plate or bowl. Wipe the remaining grease out of the pan with a paper towel.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add water, broth, beans, tomatoes, and ground black pepper to the pan. Heat until boiling.
- Add pasta, cook until tender (8–10 min).
- Reduce heat to low. Add sausage and spinach. Simmer until spinach is wilted (about 3 minutes).
- Serve with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving:
320 calories, 8g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 43g total carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 5g sugar, 21g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate. edu