Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Serves: 5
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola or olive)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) white beans (cannellini or great northern) (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole wheat pasta
- 1 cup fresh spinach (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook sausage for 6 minutes. Drain grease from sausage. Remove sausage to a plate or bowl. Wipe the remaining grease out of the pan with a paper towel.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add water, broth, beans, tomatoes, and ground black pepper to the pan. Heat until boiling.
- Add pasta, cook until tender (8–10 min).
- Reduce heat to low. Add sausage and spinach. Simmer until spinach is wilted (about 3 minutes).
- Serve with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving:
320 calories, 8g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 43g total carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 5g sugar, 21g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate. edu
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Serves: 8
- 1 tablespoon oil (canola or vegetable)
- 4 cups vegetables (like onions, carrots, and zucchini) (chopped or sliced)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or dried basil
- 2 cups small whole wheat pasta (shell or macaroni)
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves* (about 1/2 pound)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onions and carrots. Cook until the vegetables are softened. Stir often. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and canned tomatoes. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, water, salt, and Italian seasoning or dried basil. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta and spinach. Return to a boil.
- Cook until the pasta is tender using the time on the package for a guide.
Nutrient information per serving:
130 calories, 2.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 20mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 23g total carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 5g sugar, 4g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. Visit the website for more information, recipes, and videos.
Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups | Serves 6
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat penne or rotini pasta
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Add the frozen broccoli the last three minutes of cooking. Drain the water from the pasta and broccoli. Return food to the pot.
- Remove fat from chicken on a cutting board and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Wash hands.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Add chicken cubes to skillet and stir to coat with oil. Cook the chicken until it is done (165oF, about 7–9 minutes).
- Remove chicken from skillet when it is done cooking and cover to keep warm.
- Add the milk and cream cheese to the skillet. Stir the mixture constantly over low heat. The mixture will thicken and be smooth.
- Add the garlic powder, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir mixture. Then add cooked chicken and heat mixture.
- Combine meat mixture with the pasta and broccoli mixture. Serve.
Nutrition information per serving: 340 calories, 12 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 75 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 29 g total carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 30 g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more recipes, information, and videos, visit http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsavings/.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Per Serving: $1.07
- 4 cups sliced, assorted vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, peas)
- 1 cup grape or fresh tomatoes, chopped and seeds removed
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta (rotini, bow tie, penne)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain water from cooked pasta and save 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet as pasta cooks. Add garlic and onion to skillet. Sauté over medium heat about 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add any uncooked hard vegetables and cook for 3 minutes. Add soft vegetables and continue to cook. Add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add tomatoes last and cook until warm.
- Add cooked drained pasta to the vegetables. Add a little of the water from the pasta if needed.
- Add cheeses to mixture. Stir until cheese is mostly melted.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient information per serving: 250 calories, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 10 g protein
Source: Spend Smart. Eat Smart.
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 green pepper chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- Brown the ground meat in a large skillet. Rinse with warm water and drain to remove excess fat.
- Add the chopped green peppers and onions. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, macaroni, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir often to keep the macaroni from sticking.
- Serve while hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrient information per serving: 310 calories, 7 g total fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 42 g total carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 19 g protein