- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 package (8.5 ounces) corn muffin mix
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- 1 can (4.25 ounces) diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a skillet to medium. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook onion, bell pepper, and ground beef until beef is cooked through. This should take about 6 minutes. Stir in salsa. Stir in cheese, if desired.
- Spray an 8 inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the meat and vegetable mixture on the bottom of the plate.
- Mix corn muffin mix, yogurt or sour cream, green chilies, and egg. Spread on top of the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Bake until corn muffin topping is golden brown and set, approximately 30 minutes.
Nutrition information per serving:
270 calories, 9g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 60mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 33g total carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 11g sugar, 14g protein.
Recipe courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu.