Serving size: 1 cup
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 green pepper chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- Brown the ground meat in a large skillet. Rinse with warm water and drain to remove excess fat.
- Add the chopped green peppers and onions. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, macaroni, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir often to keep the macaroni from sticking.
- Serve while hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrient information per serving: 310 calories, 7 g total fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 42 g total carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 19 g protein
- 4 ripe medium-sized tomatoes
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crushed ice or cubes
- Cut tomatoes into 3⁄4-inch cubes and place in serving bowl.
- Remove part of the cucumber peel in lengthwise strips.
- Cut each cucumber into quarters, lengthwise, and then remove extra coarse seeds, if any.
- Cut into 3⁄4-inch cubes.
- Cut onion into uniform sized cubes and combine with all vegetables.
- Mix remaining ingredients, pour over vegetable cubes, and toss well to dissolve sugar.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes or more to marinate.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrient information per serving
73 calories, 2 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 0.5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 % of calories from fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2.8 g dietary fiber, 10 mg sodium
Adapted from fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org