Makes 3 one-cup servings
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard (Dijon or other)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 2 cups spinach (washed), (more if you like)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (unsalted or drain and rinse)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 red onion (small, chopped)
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic, oregano, basil, and nutmeg.
- Wash, drain, and chop spinach.
- Add spinach, black beans, tomatoes, and onions to vinegar and oil. Toss well and serve.
Source: Connecticut Food Policy Council, Farm Fresh Summertime Recipes
- Top your salad with other vegetables (cucumbers, mushrooms, peppers,yellow squash, red onions, zucchini, etc.).
- Add cooked chicken, egg, or tuna for more protein.
- Add cubes of cheddar, Swiss, or smoked Gouda cheese.
- Fruit makes a great addition—try dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, cherries, apricots) or fresh berries in season.
Nutrient information per serving: 284 calories, 5 g total fat (less than 1 g saturated fat), 201 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrates,10 g dietary fiber, 10 g protein