- 1⁄2 pound ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped (about 1⁄2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups spaghetti or pasta sauce (26 to 28 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces whole wheat noodles or whole wheat rotini
- 1 (10-ounce) package chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (12-ounce) container lowfat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional: fresh or canned, drained sliced mushrooms
- Wash hands.
- Cook ground beef, onions, and garlic together in a large skillet or electric fry pan; stir to prevent sticking. When ground beef has turned brown, transfer mixture to a colander set over a bowl and rinse with hot water to remove grease. Return mixture to skillet.
- Add spaghetti sauce and water to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked noodles, stir, cover with lid, turn down the heat, and cook 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the thawed spinach with your clean hands to remove the juice and then stir into the pan. Add mushrooms if you like. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon cottage cheese over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, put the lid on and let it heat another 5 to 10 minutes until heated through and noodles are tender.
Nutrient information per serving: 250 calories, 6 g total fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 540 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 22 g protein.
Recipe courtesy of Spend Smart Eat Smart.