- 2 cups cooked whole grain (brown rice, kamut, quinoa)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 apples, chopped
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, raisins)
- 1 bunch kale or 10-ounce package spinach (about 6 cups), torn into bite-size pieces
- Cook whole grain according to package directions. Cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Stir apples, nuts, dried fruit, and whole grain into dressing.
- Toss greens with other ingredients.
- Substitute 2 cups of chopped fruit (strawberries, grapes, oranges) for the apples.
- Do not give honey and nuts to infants under one year of age
Nutrition information per serving: 300 calories, 12g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 45g total carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 16g sugar, 5g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu.