Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Serves: 4
- 4 medium potatoes(scrubbed, peeled, and cubed) (about 4cups)
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: sliced green onions, crumbled bacon, diced ham, croutons, soup crackers
- Combine potatoes, onion, garlic powder, ground black pepper, and broth in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium high heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally (12–15 minutes).
- Use a potato masher or fork to slightly mash the potatoes. This will also thicken the soup. There should still be pieces of potato in the soup.
- Stir in the peas, milk, and shredded cheddar cheese. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted (3–4 minutes).
- Add garnishes and serve right away.
Nutrition information per serving:
340 calories, 8g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 53g total carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 9g sugar, 16g protein
This information is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit Spend Smart. Eat Smart., spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu.