Serving Size: 1/2 apple | Serves: 4
- 2 medium tart apples (Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortland, Jonathan, Fuji)
- 1 teaspoon white or brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons (total) raisins, sweetened dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or other nuts
- 6 ounces low fat vanilla yogurt
- Cut apples in half lengthwise. Use spoon to remove cores and hollow out a space 1” or more deep. Arrange apple halves, cut sides up, in microwavable dish. Cut thin slices off bottoms to keep from tipping.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, oatmeal, raisins, cranberries, and nuts. Fill each apple half with sugar mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Fold back one edge 1/4” to vent steam.
- Microwave 3–3 1/2 minutes or until apples can be easily cut. Remove from microwave. Let sit a few minutes.
- Spoon yogurt over the top.
Nutrition information per serving:
110 calories, 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 25g total carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 15g sugar, 2g protein
This recipe is courtesy of ISU Extension and Outreach’s Spend Smart. Eat Smart. website. For more information, recipes, and videos, visit spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu