There is nothing more fun than attending a summer fair or celebration with your family. There are so many things to see, do, and enjoy—especially the food. To make safe food choices and reduce the chances of you or a family member getting food poisoning, here are some food safety tips:
- Before choosing a food vendor, look at their workstations and note if they are clean and tidy. Does the vendor wear/use disposable gloves when preparing food?
- Are there handwashing sinks/stations for the vendor/employees?
- Are gloves or tongs used to serve food to customers?
- If the vendor provides single service utensils, are they individually wrapped? (Unwrapped eating utensils have the potential for contamination from dirt, air, flies, and even customers.)
- Be sure your hot food is hot and cold food is cold. If not, tell the vendor.
- Choose a clean place to sit and eat your meal.
- Wash your hands before you eat.
- Bring hand sanitizers or hand wipes in case it is difficult to wash your hands.
Following these tips will keep you on your way to a safe and happy summertime event!
Source: Centers for Disease Control